“What an extraordinary woman on an important mission.”
– Cruse Scotland Volunteer
Talking openly about the sudden death of her husband – her children’s daddy – when they were both only 34, her own breast cancer diagnosis less than three years later and, the same year, her son’s diagnosis with the rare, incurable neurological condition narcolepsy with cataplexy, Elke will take you on a journey of how she carried on living through adversity, and helped other people along the way.
You will gain an insight into the impact of grief on very young children, and be inspired by her tales of how honesty and open conversations with her own kids have not only helped them understand the incomprehensible, but also strengthened their trust in their mum, as well as their own emotional resilience.
Her powerful vulnerability will draw you in, and will leave you thoughtful and inspired.
I was blown away with how bravely and elegantly she told her family’s story.
Elke’s talk exceeded all our hopes and expectations in so many ways.
EGG Podcast “Episode 29 – with Elke Thompson” on Spreaker.
- 20 May 2023 – UYM Speaker Event, Leipzig, Germany – find out more on www.unpackyourmind.de
- 8 October 2022 – UYM Speaker Event, Amplifier Berlin, Germany – find out more on www.unpackyourmind.de
- 10 September 2022 – WAY Widowed & Young AGM, Glasgow, UK
- 2 April 2022 – UYM ONLINE Speaker Event, Cologne, Germany – find out more on www.unpackyourmind.de
View it here (in German)
- 11 December 2021 – UYM Speaker Event, Schloss Eulenbroich near Cologne, Germany – virtual talk due to Coronavirus restrictions
- 22 February 2020 – BACP – British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, Children, Young People and Families Conference, London, UK
- 22 November 2019 – Simon Says Bereavement Conference, Southampton, UK
- 30 October 2019 – Remote presentation on behalf of the Highland Hospice via Zoom
- 28 January 2019 – Aschendorff Verlag, Funeral Director’s Meeting, Münster, Germany
- 19th June 2018 – William Purves Funeral Directors’ Annual Staff Training Event, Edinburgh, UK
- 4th November 2017 – Cruse Scotland Volunteer Conference, Perth, Scotland, UK
- 11th May 2017 – Crocus Group, Inverness, Scotland, UK
- 16th March 2017 – MBM Commercial LLP’s Fundraising Evening for Richmond’s Hope, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
- 18th November 2016 – Irish Childhood Bereavement Network Conference, Dublin, Ireland
- 16th November 2016 – Mosaic Conference ‘Grief – A Child’s Journey’, Dorset, UK
- 21st October 2016 – Staffordshire Children and Families Bereavement Alliance conference “Supporting Grieving Children”, Stafford, UK
- 4th October 2016 – Grampian Child Bereavement Network Conference, Aberdeen, UK
- 18th November 2015 – CHUMS Child Bereavement & Trauma Service – Workshop for Professionals Working with the Under Fives, Bedfordshire, UK
- 4th March 2015 – CBUK (Child Bereavement UK) Conference, Edinburgh, UK
- 23rd May 2014 – TEDxMünster, Münster, Germany
Watch it here
- 8th March 2014 – WAY (Widowed and Young) AGM, Peterborough, UK
Elke’s presentation touched me deeply – beautifully delivered with a huge emotional impact.
Published on Sep 2, 2019